DIY – How to Install an Radiant Floor Mat
DIY – Even in the summertime, tile floors can be very cold in the morning. Most of us learn to deal with it by wearing socks or house slippers. But, sometimes, especially in the middle of the night, we forget. As soon as we step our feet onto the bathroom floor, we're instantly hit with the shock of cold tile on our feet. One great alternative is to install a radiant floor mat. We've provided you with the step-by-step, do-it-yourself instructions below, to help you with your DIY radiant floor heating installation.
Want more information on radiant heating choices? Check out our blog post entitled, Types of Radiant Floor Heating.
Items Needed for DIY Easy Heat Mat Installation
- Easy Heat Kit also known as a Radiant Floor Mat Kit
- Scratch Coat Mortar
- Floor Tile of Your Choice
- Utility Knife
- Staple Gun with Staples
Instructions for DIY Radiant Floor Mat Installation
Step 1: Dry Fit the Easy Heat Mat
- NOTE: Electrical inspection is required before installing the Easy Heat Mat, and even during and/or after its installation. Contact a local electrical authorized inspector to get more information.
- After electrical setup is done, fit the mat by laying it onto the floor to make sure the size is correct for the area to be heated. Make sure the mesh side is down.
- If the room is not in a rectangular shape, you can cut the mesh and support strands to make the mat the suitable shape. But, DON’T CUT THE HEATING CABLE. This will make it lose its electric connection! Also do not place the heating cable too far apart than suggested by the manufacturer, because the floor will probably not warm to a comfy, warm temperature in certain areas.
- TIP: All you have to do is lay the Easy Heat mat in the areas where you usually stand. The heat will just spread all over the floor.